Thursday, January 13, 2011

CRAZY RAVEN'S CIRCUS EMPORIUM OF TOTAL BANANA BREAD MADNESS!

This weekend I made the most amazingly delicious banana bread I have ever tasted!  So, enough with the philosophy...this post is about a recipe!

This banana bread is soooo dense...soooo moist....and sooooo banana-ie!  I took four or five recipes I found online and used pieces of each and got lucky.  I don't usually claim that something I made is the best I ever tasted, but I do with this! 

I would post a pic, but my camera broke.  :(    With our new budget, it may be awhile before I get a new one.  Anyway, here is the recipe:

World's Most Fabulous Banana Bread

Bread:
1- 1/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup blanched almond meal (or just use all flour)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs beaten
4-5 medium overripe mashed bananas (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla 
1/4 cup plain yogurt


Topping (optional):
1/2 cup  brown sugar
@ 1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter (at room temp)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


In a large bowl, cream brown sugar, butter, and vanilla together.  Beat the eggs and then add them to the butter/sugar mixture and stir or beat until well mixed.  Add the yogurt and mix well.  The whole mixture took on a curdled look at one point so don't worry if yours does too!  :)

Mash the bananas and add them to the creamed mixture.  I just mash them inside their skins and then open them, remove the strings and plop into the bowl.  Blend well.  

In a separate bowl, mix flour, almond meal, salt, and baking soda.   Add dry mixture to wet and stir JUST UNTIL MOISTENED.  Over-stirring will change the texture of your bread.

Now make the topping.  Mix together brown sugar and butter (doing it with fingers works best) and then add flour until you get crumblies.  You may need a little more or less flour than 1/3 cup.  


Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.  Pour in bread mixture.  Crumble topping on.  Bake at 350 for about 60 minutes.  I used a toothpick to test doneness.


When I took my bread out, it had a rounded top.  As it cooled, it fell a bit and I was worried it was ruined.  However, it was just wonderful.  After it cools, refrigerate until good and cold before serving.  


For all blending in this recipe, I used my new stick blender.  I cannot believe what a convenience this item is!  I use it for my soapmaking, to make a quick smoothie, to make carrot soup, and now for baking recipes as well.  Best $15 I ever spent!


Happy baking all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...