Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Broth Revisited

Soooo.....last night I made pot roast.  I browned my meat and then covered with water and simmered for a couple hours.  Then added about 3 cups of my broth and simmered another couple of hours.  My thought was that the "juice" in the pot would be more tasty than usual and make a yummier gravy...

But, no go!  The gravy was really LESS TASTY than usual.  I have been chewing it over and think the problem is that all the fat is pulled out of my broth (which makes it a wonderful soup base).  However, you need the fat for gravy.  So, usually I have a larger percentage of fat in the leftover "juice" that I make my gravy out of for a pot roast.  Although the broth has some flavor, it just is missing something when made into gravy. 

How does everyone else make their pot roast gravy?  I know it may be silly, but I refuse to use any buillion or gravy mixes.  I want to do it naturally....

1 comment:

  1. What is wrong with the good old fashioned gravy yo momma always made - and which you have the recipe for?

    Just remove the meat and if you browned it enough you have enough flavor with the juice and scraping the bottom of the pan. Use your yummy broth for your next soup.

    Love U much

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...