Monday, September 16, 2013

Carroll Inlet

Had an awesome two nights in a little cove just north of Osten Island in Carroll Inlet.  We didn't get any sailing in...just relaxing and exploring.  I dropped my crab pot three different places and only caught one undersized crab.  He was about 6" across and looked old.  He had lost some pieces of his legs long ago and had barnacles on his claws!  Funny old fellow.  It was fun to gently handle and measure him...and determine his sex (you can only harvest males).  Then we let him go.

It was nice and warm the first two days.  We paddled around in our dinghy exploring.  There were lots of little critters in the water that kinda looked like sea slugs.  I named them Joe and lost count of how many Joes I saw...probably a hundred.  He was really cute.  He stuck his foot to the side of the bucket and started cleaning/eating with his huge mouth.


We got in a little target practice with Robert's six shooter and at night heard wolves howling...I was happy to be cozy in my boat when those wolves howled.  I think wolves are the scariest critter in Alaska...much scarier than bears.

Here are some pics from one morning.  The water was so still it provided a wonderful reflection.





  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...