Friday, September 13, 2013

A Time to Kill


I just made my first kill.  I had never killed anything other than a bug or spider before.  But I am a meat eater and for years have felt uncomfortable that I let others do my killing for me and just buy the tidy packages from the store.  

I killed a salmon...as quickly and humanely as possible.  My heart was in my throat as I sawed the knife through its body.  I thanked the world for its provision and apologized to the fish for its discomfort.  Now I will use the fish as bait in my crab trap.  Next I will kill a crab. 

The most distressing thing about it is that I am not as distressed as I imagined I would be.

We are off to Carroll Inlet tomorrow (here in SE Alaska).   Watch out crabbies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...